Monday, January 08, 2007

I'm a Linux user. I've been one for almost 10 years. I still use Windows at work and when I have to at home but my main box is usually running some form of Linux and my server box is always running it. I discovered Ubuntu right after the Breezy Badger release. Before that I was primarily using Debian, Arch, or Gentoo.

I really liked it, but I didn't make it my distro of choice till the Edgy Eft release. I have to admit, all the improvements they have made to it has finally made it a great choice for ANY Linux user. I have a feeling the next release will be even better.

Even though it has so much going for it, many Linux users hate Ubuntu and Ubuntu users. Really this has more to do with Ubuntu's popularity than any short-comings that are actually in the OS. Linux is Linux no matter how you stack it. If you like Gentoo, great. If you like Debian, great. If you like Fedora, great. Just don't act like whiny bitches when the news article is about Ubuntu.

It's true that Ubuntu is more n00b friendly than most distros. That doesn't mean that only n00bs use it however. I've built Linux from Scratch a few times and though it may be exciting to me, not everyone wants to do that. I'm a pretty knowledgeable Linux user. I wouldn't call myself one of the best but I do go so far as write shell scripts, python scripts, and perl scripts for the fun of it. I love the command line and I'm not scared of it at all.

I'm not trying to say I'm a Linux expert. I have tried many many distros over the years and I have to say, I like Ubuntu. It's not the most optimized distro. I don't expect it to be. It's made to work with more general configurations. However, if I need that optimization, all Debian distros, including Ubuntu come with apt-build. With it you can set optimizations for gcc and recompile the whole damn system if you want.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home